<$BlogRSDURL$>

"And the stars are projectors, yeah, projecting our lives down to this planet Earth." - Modest Mouse


6.25.2004

Pattern Recognition 

I'm a long-time fan of author William Gibson, having snatched up a copy of Neuromancer my senior year of high school (ca. 1988). But my interest waned around the time of Virtual Light, perhaps because I couldn't remember anything about that book after reading another book a week later. That other book was Neal Stephenson's now-classic Snow Crash.

But today I started Gibson's latest, Pattern Recognition, and I cannot put it down. His take on guerilla advertising, social memes, and pop culture techsplosions is right on and eerily resonant with some of the darker coelocanths circling the deep waters of my psyche, formerly opaque and unresolved in those murky depths. Though I'm only a hundred pages or so in, the writing is excellent and the story is developing into a fascinating mystery. A tidbit:
"...in your limbic brain. The seat of instinct. The mammalian brain. That is where advertising works, not in the upstart cortex. What we think of as 'mind' is only a sort of jumped-up gland, piggybacking on the reptilian brainstem and the older, mammalian mind, but our culture tricks us into recognizing it as all of consciousness. The mammalian spreads continent-wide beneath it, mute and muscular, attending its ancient agenda. And makes us buy things."

Comments:
Your description of Gibson's new book reminds me of this book.
 
Have only read Gibson's All Tomorrow's Parties, but I know I would love the rest.
 
SNH, that book looks very cool. Now that I've finished PR (I'll post about this soon) I definitely would like to pick up Homo Zapiens. thanks for the tip!

Metachor, you should definitely read Neuromancer and Count Zero. And have you read Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson?
 
[oops, that should have been SHG, for SnakeHairedGirl. bad finfers.]
 
LVX23, yeh I should read both of those Gibson books, and I need to read Snow Crash as well (and am interested in The Diamond Age). I took a break from fiction the past two years (shame!) to study swarm artificial intelligence and network security for school/personal project. I'm back on track again, right now reading RAW's Illuminatus! trilogy for the 2nd time. Its time to hit Amazon or a local bookstore/library...
 
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?